Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Through Another's Eyes

I have an incredible family. Not only immediate but extended. My step-sister and her husband came and spent the night with us and stayed to attend Rescue Atlanta on a Sunday morning. I just got a call from my Aunt in Pennsylvania where her daughter's girl scout troop had just finished up their meeting by shopping at Walmart for all kinds of items they are shipping to Rescue Atlanta. I am feeling the family love. :)

My step-sister Lauren and her husband Jason have been married for a little over a year. They live in New Orleans. Both are students at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. Jason is working on his Doctorate in Music (incredible pianist.) Lauren just finished her undergrad and has worked as a children's minister the past few years. She just started graduate work in Social Work.  Lauren is an incredible writer and has such a tender spirit. I asked her to share about her experience at Rescue Atlanta so you get a different perspective.

I introduce to you Lauren and Jason and Lauren's Blog:



"Have you ever been adjusted before?"

Not exactly what I expected to hear on Sunday morning, January 8th at Rescue Atlanta! The chiropractor was in that day, and he was giving free adjustments to the people that had come to be fed scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and Jesus.
Boy, did I ever get an adjustment. An adjustment of perspective, that is!

Jason and I arrived that morning to help serve breakfast before worship. Being in unfamiliar territory with unpredictable people, I stayed within about a 20 foot radius of Glenn most of the time. I loosened up through breakfast, getting a feel for how to act and think around the people there. Looking back, I wonder if a few of them thought the same about me.
Jason passing out utensils for breakfast
Lauren helping change out the trash bags

After sharing a sweet time with my step-sister Morgan and Sam (see Morgan's blog about Sam's story), worship began. Not knowing what to expect, Jason and I went into it with open minds, and open hearts.
The music part of worship was awesome. It was not what most people would consider "normal", but then again, what is normal? I just wrote down thoughts most of the time about what I was experiencing. Some of the words I wrote in my journal were, "free…unique…genuine…unhindered…personal…unafraid…
expressive…undignified…humbled…overjoyed…adoration." So many different expressions of worship, from colorful banners and interpretative sign language to sitting in quiet observation, but I believe that all of that can be true worship…it's all about perspective.

That night, Jason and I were playing at a large Baptist church in Chattanooga. I made the comment to him that afternoon as I was changing into my skirt and blue sweater, "I guess it's time to put on our real church clothes..."

After we played "In Christ Alone" for the offertory, (which is always a great time of worship for us…what a blessing to praise the Lord in song with your spouse!) we sat and quietly listened to the sermon. I was so distracted by my own thoughts of reflection on the day that I couldn't really focus on the sermon, so I decided to write. Here's that journal entry:

What an enormous spectrum of church we have experienced today. From unhindered, undignified, raw worship, to reserved, hushed, and hesitant. From the homeless to the high-middle class. From the hungry to the abundantly fed. And who gives more of themselves to the Lord? The least of these, that have the least to give. Those that are broken and poor in body are much more willing, it seems, to become broken and poor in spirit. We worship with one eye open, looking to see who notices us timidly raising a hand, and these people worshipped with hands outstretched and eyes closed tight, focused on the Savior. Oh, Lord, help me to humble myself so that I may worship you as genuinely as the homeless of inner-city Atlanta. Empty my heart of any pride in my position. I am just as filthy in spirit as some of them are physically. Help me to never forget that we are all equal as children of God, RICH in Christ!

What's your perspective? Does it need an adjustment? I can guarantee you that any Sunday morning at Rescue Atlanta will do it for you!

~  Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Lauren has hit the nail on the head. And such is the reason why the prostitute and the tax collector can be closer to Heaven than the Pharisee. Those who think they have it all together have a very different perspective than those who know they don't and don't pretend. The least of this are always closest to the heart of Jesus.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The least of THESE, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete