Friday, January 13, 2012

A Story and a Dream



One of the items on my bucket list is to write a book called, "The Story Behind the Smile" or "A Story and a  Dream." and in it, have different pictures of the homeless or poor with their "story." Maybe someday. I really wish I had a picture of the man to go with the story I'm about to tell you. Maybe I will someday soon. I had mentioned in a previous post that everyone has a story. We all have a past, dreams, failures, lessons learned that have made us who we are. Every decision we've made both good and bad have led us to the place we find ourselves in today. Had we made one decision differently, we might have found ourselves in a completely different circumstance.

Last week, I was answering the phones at Rescue Atlanta, and I received a phone call asking for a gentleman named, "Bobby Smith." (Name changed for privacy). I tried to tell the man that we didn't have a Bobby Smith that worked there, but we had a public phone in the back where people could make calls, but I had no idea who that might be. He went on to explain that Bobby had called his place of employment to let him know he had found the man's wallet and wanted to return it to him.  The man on the phone said his green card was in his wallet and he desperately needed it and was going to come up to Rescue Atlanta anyway.

When the man arrived, I walked him to the back where alot of our visitors take showers, do laundry, and use the phone. To be honest, I was quite skeptical that we were going to find "Bobby."  When we walked into a big group of people, I asked one of the guys who lives there..."Hey, do you know anyone named Bobby?"
That's when this older African American man with a scraggly beard stepped out from the crowed with a smile and said..."That's Me!" I had only seen him one time since I have been working at Rescue Atlanta.  We stepped into the lobby and Bobby handed the man his lost wallet. Everything was there, including his green card. The man was so thankful and said, " I wish I had something to give you. I get paid next week and I'll bring something by for you." Bobby said.."You mean you're gonna give me something?  I just wanted to do the right thing and give you your wallet back."  The man with his reclaimed wallet left and I commended Bobby for doing the right thing.

Well fast forward to this week. Bobby would ask me on occasion if the man had brought anything by to which I sadly had to reply, "No." But I told Bobby that God blesses our obedience and that regardless if that particular man came back, God would bless Bobby for doing the right thing.  On Wednesday while Bobby was eating breakfast at Rescue Atlanta, I pulled up a chair and sat knee to knee with him so I could look him in the eye. Bobby told me that he was hoping the man had left some money because he was going to bring his mother some groceries after Bible Study (we give away food bags), but she lived on the other side of town and he was gonna have to walk because he didn't have bus fare.  I told him not to worry, that he would have bus fare by the end of meeting. He smiled and said, "That's my blessing."

Then I looked him in the eyes and said, "Bobby, I want to know your story."
Looking very shocked and confused he said, "Why?"
"Because I know you have one, and I want to know it," I replied.
His eyes brimmed with tears and I wondered when was the last time anyone cared to "know" him.
Almost aggravated he said, "Well I was a crack head!"
Immediately, I locked his gaze and with every bit of sternness in me I said, "No Bobby, crack is what you DID, but that is NOT WHO you are. I don't want to ever hear you use that word to describe yourself again. You have allowed yourself to believe that you have nothing of worth to offer and that is just not true. Tell me about when you were younger, your family, your hopes, dreams, anything."

Bobby went on to tell me that he went to medical school for 3 years, but did not finish because he had trouble with spelling and saying some of the larger medical terms. He went to Vietnam and served there. We didn't get into the specifics, but I'm assuming that in Vietnam there was some Post Traumatic Stress issues. He started using heroin and other drugs. He said that now all the VA wants to do is put him in a psych ward and dope him up. His expression softened, he lowered his voice, looked me in the eye and said, "But I don't want to be on dope. I'm not crazy." He also told me that he has a daughter and 3 grandchildren that he does not have any contact with even though they only live 30 minutes away. He found out 3 years ago that they were looking for him. He had a phone conversation with them but never met up. He was too ashamed of who he had become and didn't want to talk about the past anymore. He is no longer on crack. He said his addictions now are drinking a coke and having a cigarette.  He smiled and said..."But I have a plan. I am going to go back to school in 2 months for fixing refrigerator units."  I validated this choice and told him I believed he could do it.  Service started and I went back to my office to get his bus fare so I could give it to him after lunch.

When I gave Bobby his bus fare he said, "I need to ask you for one more thing."  I have to admit that at first I was thinking.."ok...here we go." Unfortunately sometimes when you give an inch you will find yourself being asked for a mile, but God quickly convicted my attitude when Bobby said, "I am supposed to be getting a check from the VA in the amount of 1300. I just have to provide them with some paper work and a local agency is helping me with that.  But Morgan, when I get my check, will you and your husband help me learn to budget my money? I want to do the right thing."

I said, "Of Course we will!"

When I saw Bobby yesterday, he had a smile on his face and an extra pep in his step.  When he walked in the front door of Rescue Atlanta he said, "Hey..I started working on something last night and when I finish it, I want you to read over it." I said, "Great. What is it?" He said, "It's a vision for my future." I said, "Well I am excited to read it."

Let's be honest.....a homeless ministry is the last place you expect to have someone want to return a wallet with everything in it. It just goes to show that the stereotype is not always right. And I'm thankful that the man who had he wallet return got to experience that. I hope he told everyone he knows.

The main thing I learned though is the importance of community and mentors. Think about a time in your life when you felt discouraged. You may have an a seemingly impossible task in front of you.  Maybe you felt like you couldn't do it. Maybe you felt like no one would even care if you did. And think about a person who came along side of you and encouraged you, spoke hope into your life, and walked with you as your personal cheerleader until you accomplished it. OR....stood by your side and encouraged you and comforted you if you didn't get the result you wanted.

We all need those people in our lives and we all need to be that to someone else.

Who can you encourage today? There are lots of Bobby's out there with a story and a dream.

Maybe you need to review your story. Are you living in your failures or do you need to learn to "re-tell" your story - learning from the past, living in the moment, but pressing on to the future.

I can promise you.....your story is important and with a purpose. Start sharing it.

For His Renown,
Morgan

3 comments:

  1. Very touching. Keep on helping and you will inspire others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, all I can say is WOW! What a blessing you are to these people..just to let them know someone cares is a wonderful thng...Rita Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so moved by every post of yours -- the stories are endless, and I'm amazed at how much you guys are giving AND being blessed. Please keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete