Saturday, January 28, 2012

Perspective and the Power of Presence.


Ok..sorry for the major fail on not blogging a lot this week.  I was trying to keep it updated at least every other day, but this week has been a little different. I haven't been able to have as much interaction with people because I'm had some other projects to work on. And honestly, some of the stuff I'm dealing with, I can't exactly post on the internet due to the sensitivity and privacy of the subject and that it relates to a minor. Suffice it to say that Glenn and  I need some major prayers for discernment regarding one of the youth we worth with. She is in a bad situation, and we are praying about how we need to be involved and or help, whether that means just getting involved in the situation or actually opening up our home to her. So...as you can see....we need some serious prayer warriors regarding this.

Growing up in the church, I've always grown up been taught that you can read the same scripture 2 different days and get two different things from it.  This is due to the fact that every day brings it's own perspective with it.  If you're facing different situations, it can shed a different light on it each time.  I'm finding that this is not only true with scripture but with everything else in my life.  Yesterday, my husband picked up the daily devotional we read together every morning. I was using the same devotional last year by myself. There is a spot to journal underneath the devotion entry. It was the only day last year that I actually wrote something in it, but it was interesting to see how the devotional affected me last year and then to read it and see how different I was a year later...how much has happened.  How much I have changed and how much my life has changed.


I wasn't feeling well yesterday and Glenn popped in the movie, "The Blindside" for us to watch.  Well...I half watched, half napped, but it's one of my favorite movies so I've seen it several times.  The first time I watched it, I loved it. It made me teary eyed in parts and gripped my heart.  But this time.....I don't think my cheeks were dry the entire time I watched it. It didn't grip my heart. It broke my heart. Why? Because this IS my life today. A young inner city teenager who doesn't have a good home life is given the opportunity to live with a family who can love and support him. It is such a good look at the situation from EVERY angle. Again, based on a true story. If you have not seen this movie, do yourself a favor and go rent it TODAY. (And grab a box of kleenex.) I can also get this DVD for $2.99 for anyone who wants a copy. (Blockbuster in town going out of business.)




It makes me wonder how different our world would be if people would step over social and racial lines and just focus on HELPING whoever needed help.  I think the most heart breaking thing about it all is that many of the children and teenagers that I deal with are not where they are because of something they did. They are subject to the consequences of either their parent's decisions or just the situations that life has thrown their way.  It's really difficult for them to get out of a bad situation OR even believe that their life could be any different unless someone reaches out and is WILLING to INVEST in them. It takes time and repetition.

It is fantastic that there are programs like "Adopt a Child" for Christmas or even their birthday. And it's great when groups come in to do programs with the kids. Those types of  things are VITAL, NEEDED, and APPRECIATED,  but what a lot of these kids need are MENTORS. Consistent people who can and are able to invest in seeing kids through.  People who will hug them, encourage them, tutor them, take them to a ball game, invite them over for lunch or a movie night with the family. Someone who is willing to sit down and help them find scholarships or college programs. Someone who will be at their graduation and school events.
It takes sacrifice. It takes time. It takes commitment.

This isn't for everyone. Some people are so busy that they would rather send financial support than to take on a commitment that they can not keep. That is more than fine.  If you find yourself in that position, that is the better decision. The last thing these kids need is another person that can't see them through. But maybe just maybe you have some extra time. You have been blessed to be in a position to do something more. Maybe you have been thinking......"I wish I had something to offer," or "I wish I had something meaningful to be involved in."  You don't have to be hip. You don't have to know the latest trends. You don't have to have a lot of money. You just need to have time and love to give. One of the most powerful things in life is the power of Presence.

When I was a teenager going through all the craziness of teenage life and also through my parents divorce, one of the things that helped me through that time was that I had consistent people in my life that I knew were there for me.  One of them was my youth minister, Marty. He offered encouragement, love, and also some honest words when needed. On one of the hardest days of my life, I got in my car and drove to the church because I knew he would be there to talk to. I can't remember all the youth talks he gave. I remember some of them :) But what I remember the most is that he was at almost all of my choir performances. He showed up at football games to hang out with the youth. He and his wife would open their home for us to just hang out. He is in essence on of the major reasons I went into youth ministry. I wanted to be able to have that kind of impact in other teenagers lives. And now....I sit here finding myself coming into contact with more children and youth that need mentors than you can imagine. All of us who work together do the best we can, but the need is greater than we can possibly accomplish on our own.

So...I encourage you today to start praying about how God might open up a door for you to be an influence in a young person's life. If you can find a place in your city, that is the best because you can have the power of presence. I will personally help you hook up with an organization that will match you up with someone. Or if you are home bound or just want to do something small, I have many ideas for you. So, if you are in the Atlanta area and want to be involved as a mentor, need help finding an organization in your area,or want to be involved in some small way - just email me by clicking here: I want to help!

If there is one thing I know for sure, its that EVERYONE has something to give and there is SOMEONE who would be blessed to receive it.

For His Renown,
Morgan

2 comments:

  1. I feel compelled to say that Jay was MY mentor and that he deserves a shout-out, too! ;)

    Let me tell you something from experience: being a regular mentor is HARD WORK. (But worth it.) I can't imagine doing it full-time...

    Hang in there (and HUGS!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I responded yesterday, but its gone. Weird. Anyway, to prevent being totally misunderstood, I wanted to second you and say, "Yes"..I appreciate EVERY adult and mentor who had a role in my life. I am thankful that our church cared enough about the youth to hire 2 full time people to work with us. And it allowed us to be able to have more attention. For the purposes of my story and just the sheer fact that I was closer to Marty, that's why I made a personal shout out...but even now I've heard from Jay recently, and it was a reminder that they never stop caring. I am truly appreciative. :)

    ReplyDelete