Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Cold and Dirty Feet of Innocence


I type this blog after little sleep because my heart was so heavy upon going to bed that I just laid and wrestled with some things on and off through out the night.  Yesterday I had an encounter with a family that will not soon leave my mind. In fact, it probably changed me forever. I was sitting at the front desk answering the phone and door while my co-worker stepped out for lunch. A couple probably in their late 30's early 40's came up to the window and asked if they, along with their kids, could take a shower and get a set of clothes.  We typically don't have the clothes closet open during the day, but I could tell this was an exception.   The woman stepped up with urgency and said, "Ma'am, please, my little boy is sitting in his own pee." It went from an exception to an emergency.


I had them all come in, they had four children ranging in ages from about 18 months to 10 years. The kids were bouncing off the walls with energy while the man signed everyone in. I started writing down all the sizes of clothes I would need to pull out of the clothes closet for them. That's when the mom said, "Can I get some socks or shoes for the youngest ones?" I looked down. The little 3 year old was running around in just socks, no shoes. The toddler had stockings over his little feet that had been tied in a knot at the end. He was screaming at the top of his lungs. The kids, with soiled clothing were climbing on the furniture, the Mom was embarrassed and tried pulling them off. That's when the little toddler peed on the floor, wailing with tears. It was a heartbreaking scene. I had so much sorrow for these kids and you could see the embarrassment on the Mom's face.  I tried to make it comfortable and easy as I ushered them back to the shower area. I grabbed Glenn out of his office with a panicked, "I need your help." He stepped into the clothes closet with me and we tried to put together an outfit for each person from their head down to their feet. Our clothes closet is fairly organized but when you're rushing to grab total outfits, it took forever. This is why we desperately need people to volunteer and help us in this area. I'd love to have some pre-made bags with full outfits in them so we can easily grab them in situations like this.


The sad part was, I had no men's underwear, and no underwear for the kids, no pair of pants for the oldest boy, and no pair of "fitting" shoes for the toddler. Then I remembered that I had gone to Target and bought an entire outfit for "Sam's" brother from a few weeks ago, but he didn't come to church last week, so I was able to give those jeans to the boy, and open the package of underwear and give a pair to each child, even though it was the wrong size.  I made sure they had a coat and hats, and gloves, a pack of diapers and wipes. While the mom was waiting with the two youngest children for her husband and other kids to finish showering, I sat with her, played with the children, learned all their names, and said, "What is your situation?"


She went on to explain that they used to have a place to live, but Social Security sent them a letter saying they had overpaid them and were cutting off their payments. They found themselves unable to pay rent and therefore evicted. They stay with relatives on their floor when they can, but when that option wears thin, they sleep in their car, which is what they have been doing lately.


A Family of  SIX in one car, including a car seat.


It had warmed up a little bit during the day, but I gave them a bunch of blankets and the phone number and address of another local ministry where I thought they might be able to find shelter. I didn't realize it at the time but later discovered it was only for women and children. I helped them out to their car, and as they opened the door, the smell of urine was overwhelming. It was packed to the brim. They thanked me over and over with "God Bless You," but as I turned to walk back inside, my eyes filled with tears and I was left feeling like I should have done more.


All I could think about last night was that I was living in a house that had 2 extra bedrooms, plenty of space and warmth, and this family of 6 was sleeping in their car. Should I have just offered to let them stay the night? Is that what Jesus would have done? I had no idea it was going to dip below freezing last night. We didn't run our heat and when we woke up this morning our thermostat read 47 degrees.....inside my house where I was warm underneath a down comforter. Where did those kids wake up? Were they frozen? Did that mother cry herself to sleep as she cradled her little boy in her arms trying to keep him warm? Do I give to a point because it's my job and then go home to my normal life? Or am I supposed to do more?


I know that I can't help every person, and I know God gave us the ability to discern for a reason. I have sympathy to a point for adults because they have the mind and ability to get themselves into a shelter or wrap themselves up in blankets. But children, sitting in their own urine, with nothing but a stocking tied around their feet.........that cuts to the very heart of me.  When I got to work today, I educated myself on the different shelter available for entire families in our area so next time I'm in that situation, I can see it through and make sure I get people to the proper places that CAN help them when it deals with needs beyond what we can meet here.


So today, my mind is kind of consumed with, just how far does God call us to go to help our neighbor?
I think it does cause us to get outside of our comfort zones and if we are always comfortable in our giving...is that really doing the best we can? Do you think the Bible is literal in the following verses? I don't have the answers, it's just what I'm grappling with today.

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33


"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22


Lack one thing? This obviously is of utmost importance to our Lord.  I know if I sell anything at this point, I too, will find myself in the same situation of those I'm trying to help. I'm only a step away as it is, but I am asking the Lord today, to show me to what He would do in the situations I find myself in. I would implore you to do the same.


We all have so much to be thankful for. The next time you put on your socks and shoes, or better yet, put on your children's socks and shoes, thank God for providing for your most basic needs. Unfortunately, as I've seen this week, it is a privilege, to some, to have those basic items.


For His Renown,
Morgan

3 comments:

  1. Wow That's amazing!!! WWJD??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You touched my heart. We do tend to see ourselves and not others. May God open our eyes, that we may truely SEE the needs of those we come om the contact with. It just might be JESUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart BREAKS for families like this...domestically and internationally. And I just can't fathom those who are ignorant of or complacent towards it. Thanks for being one of those who is moved by it AND who does something about it.

    When I feed the homeless every month through our church (which seems like a pittance in comparison to what you guys do), I am consistently moved by their generosity, gratitude and strength of spirit. It's humbling, to be sure...

    ReplyDelete