Friday, February 3, 2012

All For One And One For All



Today was one of those information overload days. Not a bad day, just a huge intake of info day.
We are in North Georgia at a gorgeous lake house with most of the staff of Rescue Atlanta to talk through 2012. We went through every month planning things. Sometimes it's a little overwhelming to look at a month and see only one or two days the entire month that have nothing on them. My first reaction is a sigh of exhaustion before it even happens, but then I look again and realize how much ministry is taking place in those days. How many hundreds of people will come and serve at Rescue Atlanta, whose lives will be changed  and how many hundreds of people will be blessed by their servant hearts. There will be stories of what God is doing spread all over the country as the people return to their homes following their weeks and days of service.

One of the things I have a heart for is networking.  I believe that no matter what our profession, talent, skill, hobby, etc...it can be used to bring God glory. I also firmly believe in the following scriptures:

Ephesians 4:4-6: 
"You were all called to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so stay together, both outwardly and inwardly. You have one Master, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything you are and think and do is permeated with Oneness."

 John 17:20-23
  I'm praying not only for them
   But also for those who will believe in me
   Because of them and their witness about me.
   The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
   Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
   So they might be one heart and mind with us.
   Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
   The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
   So they'll be as unified and together as we are—
   I in them and you in me.
   Then they'll be mature in this oneness,
   And give the godless world evidence
   That you've sent me and loved them
   In the same way you've loved me. 

I realize this doesn't mean we are all called to the same exact specific task, however, I do believe the underlying goal is the same. To be Christlike, bring Christ glory, make Him famous, honor Him in all we do, including working together.  I believe working together brings God glory.

One thing that always kills me is how competitive Christian ministries can be.  I mean everything from churches to para-church organizations. It has been my experience that rather than working together for the same goal, often times ministries are trying to one up the church or ministry down the street. If someone asks a question about the ministry, it's almost as if motives are questioned. I've found this out recently just among some organizations that work with the homeless in Atlanta.

I have tried to contact several  people and organizations that do similar work as us and my efforts at reaching out have gone completely unregarded.  It's sad because I'm not trying to "steal" ideas. I mean, seriously......Do you think the city of Atlanta is really hurting to have people to help? If anything, I want to be able to send people the right direction if there is a need we can't meet through our ministry.  This type of thing really makes me pound the table.  Thankfully, I recently had a break through. I was talking to a staff member of a very well known mission in Atlanta the other day and he actually took the time to ask about our ministry, about me and Glenn, and after sharing he said, "I'd really love to schedule a time where I can introduce you to some of our staff and we can sit down and learn from each other and find ways to partner together." Wow...what a breath of fresh air. We also discussed how we are all working towards the same goal as a Christian organizations yet he informed me that Atlanta is especially competitive in homeless outreach.  Today, he delivered us a large amount of towels and socks that they had in excess.  While he was there, he noticed we had a game they could use for a Superbowl outreach and asked if they could borrow it. It seems really simple, but in 3 months, that is one of the first times I've actually had a positive reaction to working "together." (Of course, I'm not talking about our regular volunteers and church supporters.)

I digress. All of that to say.....whether it be in our ministries, our businesses, our churches, or our homes, I think its healthy from time to time to say..."Are we working as one? Are we a good picture to those outside of our circle of what it means to be One in Christ?  What does it mean to stay together both outwardly and inwardly?"

And in addition to that, we need to be looking for ways to connect the isolated hand or foot that is broken off from the body. If we are the body and all parts are needed and useful, each with a purpose, it means we are lacking when the body is missing parts.  What are some ways that you can be attached to the body? What are some ways you can connect others to the body? Sometimes it requires us to think outside the box.  God has given us infinite ways to connect and be creative.  Sometimes we just have to clean off the glasses or look at things from a different angle.

Please pray for Rescue Atlanta as we are charting new territory in a few areas. There are some programs and things on the horizon that this specific ministry has never done before. There is a ton of potential, but we will need a lot help. I will fill you in more specifically in the coming days. Please pray for open doors and favor with networking to make these things possible if it is God's will.

Also pray for the staff and people involved. Any time you implement change or something new, it comes with it's own set of challenges. Pray that we would be a unified staff and team both inwardly and outwardly. Pray for a hedge of protection around our relationships as many of us work, serve, and live together with our family members. Pray that God will be glorified and that we are attentive to His leading, sensitive to His spirit,  and that lives are changed for His glory. May we always be humbled first as leaders and changed in the process.

We appreciate your love, prayers, and support today and always.

For His Renown,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment