Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crazy Beautiful: MY heart is so full it might bust!

Today was one of those days that I will forever hold dear to my heart. I love to walk through the sanctuary on Sunday mornings and see the familiar faces and get hugs and give smiles. I love making eye contact with everyone and telling them "Good Morning." I love when the teenagers get there and all come up to me to give me hugs and catch up on the week. It is such a blessing to love and be loved.  I know many of you are waiting to hear about our friend "Sam" from last week. If you missed knowing who Sam is, please stop, click on the following link and read "Sam's Story" before continuing: Sam's Story.

After telling Sam's story last week, many people were prompted to action. I received gift cards and money and I know others are sending some as well. Trust me, everyone was a part in making a blessing for Sam possible. Anything excess we receive will just be used to bless more children.  My step sister and her husband were in town for the night, so after dinner we all headed to Target together to get some things for Sam. With the combination of a gift card and some money, we were able to buy Sam a new shirt, pair of jeans, bag of socks, 2 pairs of gloves, a pack of underwear, a pair of tennis shoes, and a pair of waterproof boots. As a bonus, I found a Spiderman book bag in our clothes closet to put everything in.  I prayed all week and especially this morning, "God, Please bring Sam back this week so we can bless him."

As soon as the Children's Bus arrived, I went outside to look for him. I found him playing tag in the back of the building with some other children. He ran over to me and I said, "Do you remember that I told you if you came back this week, I'd have something for you?" He smiled and I said, "Come with me." We went into a classroom with Glenn and my step-sister and her husband and gave him the bag full of stuff. Today he had a big hole in the middle of shirt which made the blessing even better. As I unpacked each item he almost looked in a state of shock. When I pulled out the socks he said, "WOW SOCKS! I didn't have socks to put on today! I had some yesterday, but I didn't have any today!" With that, I looked down at his dirt covered shoes and said, "Sam would you like to wear one of your new pairs of shoes?" He nodded and I asked him which pair he would like to put on.  In the sweetest little voice he said, "Well........it's kinda wet outside so I think I should wear the boots."  After he put on his new socks, I knelt down and tied his shoes tight. He then wanted to put on his gloves and hat right away. We snapped this picture before he went into the Sanctuary. This truly is one of my favorite pictures of all time.

When I went into the Sanctuary, Sam introduced me to his brother and his cousins. I found out today they all come from really sad circumstances.  Sam was so sweet that when he introduced them he told me their shoe sizes as well. They all said, "Can we have a pair of shoes too?" I assured them that while I couldn't help them all today, I would help them as soon as possible. (On a side note I was told that the children's pastors found a pair of boots exactly like Sam's, in his brother's size. It was not ironic that we had those on hand!)  I went and sat on the front row and left Sam sitting with the kids a few rows back.  A few minutes later, Sam walked up to me with his back pack on and said, "I want to sit up here next to you." MELT. MY. HEART. I sat with my arm around him through praise and worship. Precious and unforgettable moment. (Side Note: I got his brothers sizes this week, so that's my current project.)

I decided today that I would not let any of the youth/children SIT during praise and worship so I was on my feet running around from row to row, singing, dancing, joking around with them, and getting the kids on their feet singing. It was a lot of fun. In class today, Glenn taught them that what they put into their minds will come out. He used media as an example: Garbage in. Garbage Out. He asked one girl what CD was in her CD player right now and she named an artist who is a Gangster Rapper. When Glenn started to say something about it, she cut him off and said, "But I know a Gospel song too"....and proceeded to belt it at the top of her lungs....HILARIOUS. He used video's and music to help with the lesson. It truly was awesome. He played a few LeCrae (Christian Rap Artist) songs and many of the boys knew all the words and were singing along. Some were shocked to find out that he was a Christian artist, simply because they had heard it somewhere other than a Christian station. (On the slim chance that any Christian artist breaking into a secular music scene should read this: You ARE making a difference).  When it came time to look up scriptures, Glenn said, "Who wants to read a verse?" and half of them shot up their hands...we were shocked yet encouraged that they were so eager.  Last week we had 5 Middle School Kids, this week we had 15. They got to be a hand full towards the end, but I think we are gaining their trust, and doors for conversations are opening.  Please continue to pray for us.

We also had our first "Birthday Blessing" in our class. We gave one of our guys a Devotional, his favorite Candy, A Phase 10 Card Game, and a little pocket coin that said "Blessing" on it. I wrote in the card that he should carry the coin in his pocket and know that he is loved and prayed for every day. I forgot to take a picture because I was handing out Rice Krispy Treats, but I'll get one of him next  week. He pulled me to the side later and gave me a hug and said, "Thank you."

So I'm forwarding those hugs and smiles we got today on to all of you and saying "Thank YOU." 
Thank you for your support. Thank you for your prayers.  Thank you for sending blessings so that we can bless others.  My step sister and her husband spent the morning with us at Rescue Atlanta and were truly floored. I pray that many of you will be able to join us on a Sunday morning some day.

For those who want to know how you can help specifically at Rescue Atlanta:

1. Birthday Blessing Sponsorships are about $15. Our goal is to do one for as many children as we can. We have a church that is looking into sponsoring this, but if we get excess, we can always do more.

2. Back to the Basics Sponsorships - This averages around $50. This allows us to get a new outfit - shoes, hat, gloves, shirt, socks, and underwear for a child who really is in a desperate situation.

3. Tower of Towels Sponsorship -  Donation of Bath Towels. We have hundreds of people that shower on a weekly basis in our facility. We try to provide them with a towel so they can try off with something clean when they get out of the shower. Target has towels on clearance right now for $2.48. Would you consider sending some or sending a donation towards it? A Towel Drive is a super easy and helpful thing to do, especially for a school club or bible study or youth group.

 4. Blessing Blast Sponsorship - This can be for any amount and allows us to use your financial blessing where we need it most. Rescue Atlanta serves hundreds of people on a weekly basis and sometimes needs arise that we need to take care of quickly. If you are willing to just be a blessing where we need it most, this gives us the most flexibility in who and how we can bless.

5. Power Prayer Partners - as much as we need financial blessings to survive, more than anything we need your prayers. We know that God is the giver of ALL things and we know that prayer is a powerful tool to receiving the things we need. There are many people who would like to be able to give but are not in a position to do so at this time, and that's ok. We are praying for YOU that God would bless you abundantly so that you too may one day be able to financially support the ministry of your choice.



If you feel led to give, or would like to discuss doing a drive of some sort at your church to help us collect the items we need, please email me: morgan@rescueatlanta.com All financial donations are tax deductible.

I am so thankful to be part of a HUGE family that has such giving hearts. Thank you for reading this blog and for taking this journey with us. Please pass it on. We want as many people in on this as possible because it is so much more of a blessing to give than to receive.  And please continue to pray God's provision for us as well. We are still trusting God every day for everything, but we do it with confidence that He is NEVER late! :)


1 John 3:17-18 - If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?  Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.


For His Renown,
Morgan

1 comment: