Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Soloist: An Unlikely Friendship


I've decided that from time to time I'm going to do a book or a movie review of media and literature that compels me, and in turn might compel you.  Our local Blockbuster store is going out of business and Glenn and I stopped in just to browse. I came across a copy of the above movie: The Soloist. I remember watching it when it came out. I recalled it was about a homeless man who loved music but that's about it. For $2.99 I could own the movie, so it was must have in my collection.  Glenn and I watched it when we got home and I remembered why I loved it so much.


The story is based in Los Angeles on Skid Row. If you don't know much about Skid Row, it is known for being a highly populated by homeless people. A local news paper columnist (played by Robert Downey Jr.)  meets a homeless man is who happens to be a musical genius (played by Jaime Foxx). The reporter is looking for a story and ends up learning the homeless man's story.  Once he verifies it, the reporter sets out on a journey to befriend the homeless man and help him follow his dream.  It is a story of joy, sorrow, an unlikely friendship, and the best thing about it is it is based on a true story. I LOVE true stories!. It goes hand in hand with my previous blog: A Story and a Dream
(which by the way, if you read that blog, Bobby came in to meet with Glenn and I last week. We gave him a list of things to do before our meeting this week. He did them the very next day. We are meeting with him Thursday about getting him into VA housing. I've given him bus money the past few weeks and he showed me a card in his wallet where he is writing down every penny we loaned him and insists on paying us back. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he said, "Miss Morgan, business is business.")

Sorry for the rabbit trail. At any rate...the movie, in my opinion, is a must see. I will however give you a disclaimer. There is some foul language involved. It's not outrageous or consistent throughout the entire movie, but there are a few heated moments where some expletives are used. I'm not a fan of it, HOWEVER, it is real life. And in our type of ministry, it's rare that a week if not a day goes by where people don't feel free to express themselves....fully. :)

This picture is from a scene in the movie where the reporter is taking the homeless man to see a orchestra practice, but he won't leave his cart at the mission.......so the reporter helps him push it through the city all the way to the concert hall.

I give this movie two thumbs up.  I think Jamie Foxx did a phenomenal job portraying this character. And it just goes to show that the blessing goes both ways. If you can't find a copy of this movie and want to send me $5. I can grab a copy from the local Blockbuster and ship it. They had at least 30-40 copies of it. If you watch it and it impacts you: Pass it on or encourage someone else to watch it as well.

May we always encourage those in our path to follow their dreams.

For His Renown,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment