Wednesday, February 8, 2012

And Things Start to Unfold...

I love books. I love reading and writing.  When you get into a really good book it seems like you can't turn the pages fast enough. A good writer will leave you coming back for more. I have felt like my life has been in one of those cliffhanger moments the past few months except on a "to be continued..." note. I feel like the Author (God), built up the story with how Glenn and I met, fell in love, how He brought us to inner city Atlanta, all with the purpose of living for His Renown and then put down the pen for a little while. We have definitely had some exciting moments, but most of the past 3 months I've spent flipping pages waiting to understand how this was all gonna work out. I haven't been exactly sure of my purpose. We came in to the ministry at a really busy time of year so we just automatically went into GO MODE doing whatever had to be done. I knew what we were doing was important, but I couldn't exactly find my niche. 

As you know from previous blog posts it's been lonely at times and although I never questioned us making the move to Atlanta, there were definitely moments of "God, exactly what are you doing?" mixed in with tears on some occasions. This week......I almost can't keep up with how rapidly He is unfolding the story. My life is becoming a page turner, and I am SO excited about what HE is doing. 

Here are a few "God moments" this week:

1. In talking with someone from another ministry in Atlanta to schedule the drop of donations from Passion 2012, it led to us now having a scheduled meeting with that ministry next week to discuss ways to partner together. (something I've really been frustrated at the lack of recently). I also just received an email from another local ministry whom we are meeting with next week to tour their facility, and then they are coming to tour ours. They are in the same neighborhood and the guy who founded it is a well known for inner city ministry and author of several books about inner city ministry. 

2. I went to a local elementary school this morning whom we are partnering with as well. The opportunity to reach children and their families is endless through this partnership. They are excited. I am excited. I am going back on Friday to speak to another group of parents.  I was able to meet with the PTA President and suggest ways for their school to get funding to be able to do more for the students. I think they want to make me an honorary PTA member. She said..."Girl how come you're not on the PTA?" to which I replied, "um...I have no children." Ha! Having the freedom to go into a public school and talk about what we do here at Rescue Atlanta is such a blessing.

3. On Saturday, Glenn was overseeing a group of students when someone told him there was a man outside who wanted to speak to him.  Glenn went outside and met a guy who works with a ministry that focuses on men who just got out of prison. As they talked, the guy said he had driven by our ministry several times and never stopped, but felt strongly that he needed to stop and check it out that day. We aren't normally there on Saturdays unless we have a group.  The more they talked, Glenn and the guy discovered that they had extremely similar stories/testimonies. The guy suggested that maybe he and his wife could get to together with us sometime to hang out because they live in our area as well. We have plans with them this Saturday. YAY FOR MORE FRIENDS! (and friends who understand what we do at that).

4. And my favorite "Small World" God moment of them all:
I'm just getting into the World of Twitter. It's so confusing. But I managed to make a Tweet to @Passion268 thanking them for the towel and sock donation. They retweeted the comment to their 57,000 followers and several people started following @RescueAtlanta on Twitter. I happened to click on one girls profile and the more I read, the more intrigued I became. She was a graphic designer and photographer. She loved the Lord, loves to cook, craft, blog, etc. We had several things in common. The thing that caught my eye was that she was planning to move to Atlanta, GA. I read her blog and felt VERY compelled to send her a personal email. So I did. I just let her know that a lot of what she said resonated with me because I too, had been in her shoes. I assured her that although she did not know me, I would be glad to meet her for coffee and help her feel like she had "a friend" in Atlanta.  She emailed me back and that started a string of back to back emails, swapping stories, feeling like "we'd known each other" a long time. We even have a mutual friend. One of young ladies who was in the youth group I served with in Texas was one of her co-workers in Glorieta, New Mexico as part of the summer staff. Glorieta, oddly enough, is where I accepted Christ when I was in 7th grade. At the actual place she served.  Talk about God orchestrating something that was not even on my radar. I am so excited to meet this sweet girl and look forward to what God has in store for our friendship to come.  She is still looking for a job in Atlanta, so if any of you out there have any leads on design type jobs, please let me know.  She is INCREDIBLY talented and I'd love for you to see her work www.jesscreatives.com.

There are several things on the horizon. I'm busy trying to make contacts and get in donations of Men's Boxers, new or gently used Men's Jeans sizes 32-38, Ladies Undergarments, Children's Undergarments and Socks and Boys Clothing to help propel our efforts forward with a few projects.  Those are the types of things we ALWAYS need. So if you are cleaning out the closet and want to send some our way, pick up a pack the next time you're in Walmart, Do a Drive, or have a connection......Bring it on!

In closing, I know that God isn't just working when life is a page turner. In fact, I know most of life changing moments are when I'm waiting, intently seeking Him, watching and waiting in expectation. I know that the purpose is not just in the doing, but in the BEING. Thank you for praying for and encouraging me with each turn of the page. I am reminded of the following to be True of my Author:



For His Renown,
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. I am SO happy to hear these things!!! As I told you in a roundabout way fairly recently, sometimes the best way to figure out what God is doing is to step back, be still and let Him move. Then, instead of frantically looking for answers, they end up coming to you. It's amazing. :)

    HOORAY FOR FRIENDS! Xo.

    ReplyDelete