Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Unforced Rhythms of Grace

Two weeks ago, I was on the verge of burn out. I was exhausted physically, mentally, spiritually. Looking back, I can't even tell you why, I just know that I felt like I wanted to crawl in a hole and disappear for a good long while. I felt like everything I did was wrong, everything I said was wrong. I was completely and utterly overwhelmed with what was before me.

I went over to a friends house and confessed all of this and she told me she was going to hold me accountable for "soul care." I basically needed to make sure I was taking care of me and my heart while pouring out on a daily basis. Then something happened that totally blew my mind and changed everything. A family showed up on our doorstep...homeless.

Glenn and I had been talking a lot about boundaries and even a sign or something we could put on the door to signify when we were open for "Dream Campaign" and when we were just having family time. I think I was focusing so long on how to keep people from invading our space 24/7 that I missed the point all together.

When a mom with 4 small children is looking to you to help them in the midst of crisis, you just go into action mode. You don't think and analyze, you just act. We knew that the task was bigger than us and we had to put the needs out to the church..not the church building, but it's members. In the past 12 days people have served, donated and made the following possible.

1. Provide groceries for 2 homeless families in need
2. Provide monthly support of diapers and wipes for a 10 month old
3. Provide a hotel room for a homeless family of 5
4. Provide clothing, new underwear, socks and shoes for 2 homeless families (8 children).
5. Provide financial support towards several meals
6. Provide financial support towards a fun afternoon for 2 homeless children to Monkey Joe's
7. Provide tickets for children to a baseball game (2 of the 3 had never been to a baseball game before)
8. Provide finances for gas to transport family around for a week to meet needs. (we literally spent over $200 just in gas the past 12 days) and even cover a ride here or there.
9. Provide sound bible teaching and love through children's church
10. Provide board games for kids stuck in a hotel room as well as other kids in the neighborhood
11. Provide a tremendous amount of school supplies for the start of the year
12. Provide resources to wash and store laundry for homeless family.
13. A precious boy who does not have a Dad got a great godly role model/mentor.
14. Provide incredible prayer support and encouragement
15. Provide support for us as inner city missionaries to have the flexibility to meet these needs

And that is just scratching the surface.



This past week has been one of the more busy and demanding weeks of my life, but it has also been one of the most rewarding. I wish I could adequately describe what its like to give a child a pair of shoes who had no shoes. To give a teenager a bag of boxers who had no underwear. To give a pack of uno cards to children stuck in a hotel room all day. To drop kids off at their first day of school with a smile knowing that their physical needs were met. To witness a 10 year old read the bible to you and recount what he learned in kids church. To encourage a mom that she is not a failure but a loved daughter of God who is NOT forgotten. We have the best job in the world.....and we could not do it without God's provision...many of which is people.

In the midst of a crazy week, I made sure to take time to read, date my husband, study God's Word, laugh and cry. It was when I stopped trying to protect and guard that I found freedom in the "unforced Rhythms of Grace."

I spent an hour of uninterrupted time with God on Sunday night and here is how He spoke to me:

"Throw yourself into this work for Christ." 2 Timothy 2:1

"This is a large work I've called you into. Don't be overwhelmed by it." Matthew 10:41-42

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now. Don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:33-34

"Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met." Matthew 6:31-32

"Walk with me. Work with me. Watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 12:28-30

I'm not gonna lie, there were definitely moments this week when I was like, "Ok God...this is so far outside of what I was expecting to come across my radar today." The second night we were helping support a homeless family, one of my dear friends and missions pastor leaned over to me at church during a worship song and said..."This is God's message to you and Glenn."

Here is the line that stuck with me:
You have called me higher, You have called me deeper, and I'll go where you will lead me Lord.
You can hear the whole song Here.

Sometimes it feels like we've jumped into the deep part of the ocean and now God is saying...put on the scuba gear...we're going deeper. But you see things in the depths that you can't see from the surface and it's really a breath taking, beautiful thing.

If you would like to support us as missionaries or the work of The Dream Campaign, this is our fundraising website: http://www.gofundme.com/HelpUsDream, but more than anything, we appreciate and love your prayers. If you are interested in volunteering or being a mentor please email me: morgan@helpmedream.org

Blessings,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment