Monday, August 5, 2013

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like These

When my husband rolled over and said "Someone tried to break in our house at 2:15 am," I should have known it was going to be one of those days. We were pet sitting for a friend and the alarm company had called our landlord who had relayed the message to us. I threw my hair in a ponytail and with hands shaking attempted to throw on whatever clothes I could find. A thousand thoughts were running through my mind. Thankfully, whoever it was did not succeed and our home was safe. We decided we would go out for breakfast since we were up with our boy "A."

Somehow in that conversation we ended up taking him to Monkey Joe's to get out some energy and have some fun. Such JOY on his face.

I spent most of the day making phone calls trying to find a place for his family to stay. They were going to be completely homeless at 8 pm tonight. Every call ended the same...."we can put their names on a waiting list." It was infuriating to know that to many it was going to have to be ok for a Mom and her 4 kids to be on the streets tonight.

As the hours ticked away, it became more pressing. I did the only thing I knew to do....call on the church...both as a collective body and individually. I have to tell you....if you knew the amount of people working all around the country to care for this family in need...you would be amazed. We have been left speechless at the generosity of those who have done everything from send board games to purchase underwear. And tonight some men lived out their call to "Choose Compassion" and purchased a week at an extended stay for the family to buy them some more time at a safe place. They provided groceries, love, laughter, support. So many others were involved in making that come to pass.

When we went to pick up the family and reunite them with "A", it was a moment I will never forget. Pure joy. Joy that only comes when all is right with the world. The siblings were so happy to see each other. "A" had gone from crying tears of worry for his mom being held in an embrace. When we got them all settled, "A" said he wanted to come home with us for a few more days. I saw the look of sadness on the mom's face and I sat down with her and said, "You've really missed him haven't you?" She simply nodded. I knew in that moment I had to do the hard thing and tell him he needed to stay with his family. They needed each other. It was evident that he was an important part of this family unit and there was an element of laughter and joy that everyone else needed.

I praised God for this insight and then grieved all the way home. I had come to really love this little boy and we had some really special moments. Times of bible study and bedtime prayers. The night before he had asked me for a bible and wanted to look up a bible verse . He read it to us and little did he know it was our Dream Campaign verse: Ephesians 3:20 " God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!" 


Last night we said our bedtime prayers together and tonight as I folded up the pull out bed and put the sheets in the wash, I found myself grieving the absence of him in our little family. I knew it was right. Now we continue to offer the family support in getting them set up for school and hopefully transitioned into a more long term housing solution. Please continue to pray for this family. I finally got around to that shower about 9 pm. I gathered "A's" belongings to drop off to the hotel tomorrow. I don't know why God allows us to bear the heartbreak of loving kids the best we can to send them back home again. I know it is an honor, but it hurts. But then I think....did God not do that with His own Son?....for us?

We live in a flawed world, with flawed systems. God has equipped us to take care of one another. To bear one another's burdens. I think if we would all try to do that a little better.....we would see a tremendous difference in our world. The blessing comes in giving. I can assure you that as tired and weary as I am, my heart is abundantly full.

Thanks again to those who have helped, are helping and will help in the future. We are the BODY of Christ...all hands, arms, eyes and ear are so needed.

This was the last picture "A" took on my phone....had no idea it was there until after I left. I treasure it.



Blessings,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment