Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pressing Pause

I am a "Do-er." I struggle with sitting still. I REALLY struggle with sitting still when we are in the middle of a major life event like moving and starting a new non profit. Add to it the fact that we are on a time table and my mind does not stop. So what happens when you get really sick and things suddenly feel completely out of your control? You  God presses the pause button.

For people like me, who have the Martha syndrome, doing instead of being, we often find that we go go go until we can't go anymore. We think we are the energizer bunny whose batteries never run out and rather than stop and replenish, we will run them til the last bit of juice flows and we find ourselves completely empty.....exhausted and sometimes sick as a result. 

Last night we went to a friend of ours home to get a respite in the AC until my Mom's was replaced. When we arrived, we went up on the top floor balcony where there was a breeze and a view of the beach. She treated us to a nice dinner and when we came home she told us goodnight. It was only 7 pm but we got in bed and watched TV until we fell asleep. We slept in this morning and she took us to lunch. When we got back she told us to take a nap. I NEVER nap. I can never shut my body down. I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. But with being sick, I felt exhausted and I decided to try. We laid down and did not get up again until 4 pm. It was an amazing feeling to wake up feeling more rested. When we went upstairs she said, "If you didn't need it, you wouldn't be able to do it."  

Recently a good friend asked Glenn and I, "How are you doing at taking a Sabbath?" Uh...Errr......Umm.....
It really kinda hit me between the eyes. Do I not think that God is capable of accomplishing what He needs to accomplish in the amount of time given? Does running myself in the ground really help the process or only ultimately hurt me? 

As I'm on this new journey to set better boundaries, I'm learning to have to say no and let go. I am learning to call it a day and trust that tomorrow carries enough time to contain all that we need to accomplish for that day. If I will stop and rest and be still, I will know that I am walking WITH God, not ahead of God. I will know that I I

I am thankful for the friends who say "Take a Nap" and for friends who ask "How are you doing with taking a Sabbath?" I think these are valuable questions to ask. Next time you see me.....ask me. I could use the accountability.

How will you press pause today?

Blessings, 
Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment