Saturday, March 3, 2012

Going Deep Before Going Wide


I realize I haven't typed a blog since Feb 23. I have probably sat down to type one approx 10 times since then, but I just never have been able to produce anything. It's as if I have so much to say and yet nothing at all. It's not that anything has been bad, in fact the past week or so has probably been a milestone type of week in my life. Oddly enough, while my heart has been full, my mouth has been silent. I haven't found the words to express all that my heart contains, so bear with me in the randomness.

We started off the week at a beautiful Minister's Retreat at St. Simon's Island, GA. We were blessed to be invited to attend. We didn't really know anyone except our co-workers from Rescue Atlanta, but made many friends by the end. I felt like every word the Speaker, Dr. Jim Bradford, spoke was like an arrow of understanding to my heart. I identified with everything he talked about. It really was a time of being poured into that I was starving for. Some of my journal notes were:

* Don't give up until you rest up.
* God doesn't always answer our question but He's always trying to change our perspective.
* We often think more with our pain than we think with our brain.
* Perspective is distorted by pain and when you are in pain...doubt...your doubts.
* In whatever season we are in God wants us to go deep before we go wide. Depth before Breadth.      Character before influence.
* God does not want us dependent on the ways other people treat us.
* Paul's unmet expectations did not eclipse his focus on mission. Personal hurt did not erase his vision for unity.
* My feelings may be hurt, but it's no excuse to back off the mission.

It may seem pretty basic, but it was exactly what I needed to hear. Then at the very end of the retreat, the Superintendent called Glenn up to the front of the room and told the following story:
At the beginning of the retreat the Superintendent walked by Glenn and I while we were waiting for the rest of the staff to arrive. He quickly turned around and said, "You're here for the Retreat, aren't you." (Glenn was wearing shorts that day and all of his tattoos were showing and we had just finished joking about the fact that no one would think we were there for the "minister's retreat." ) Later that night, Glenn went up to the same man and thanked him for welcoming us and explained that he usually doesn't fit in to these types of scenes because the marks of his past make people assume he isn't "one of them." After telling the story to the 75 to 100 people in the room, Rick (superintendent) looked at Glenn and said, "Brother, you are one of us, and you do fit in." He then personally prayed with Glenn and Glenn said it was one of the most powerful prayers he's ever heard.

After communion, Rick called both of us up to the front and explained what we were doing at Rescue Atlanta and that we were basically living on support. Then he did something he's never done before. He said he felt that God wanted him to ask everyone to show their love and support by giving us a word of encouragement and a financial donation. What followed was the fact that we received TONS of hugs, smiles, encouragement, and some financial assistance. God always provides when we run out. And ya know...it wasn't even the money that meant the most to me...it was the fact that the one thing I have missed the most being in Atlanta is Hugs. I'm a hugger. I love to encourage and it has felt quite lonely at times. I had told God several times in my personal prayers that I missed hugs. And boy did He hear me and deliver. We were blown away by everyone's generosity and God's provision of even our smallest desires. If you ask Glenn about it...he will say, "I've never felt that much love in a room in my life." It had a profound impact on us.

We have been in Savannah the past few days visiting family and friends before we return to Atlanta and our days have been filled with people pouring into us, encouraging us, challenging us, praying with us, and an abundance of hugs and smiles.  I've almost been in this state of simply soaking it all in and being quiet. I feel like God is calling me into the deep with Him in a way I've never known. I have a renewed hunger for His Word, Prayer, and His children. I feel like I can finally embrace a lot of things I've been unsettled about and have a new excitement about what He has called me to do.

On a separate yet related note, I received a call on Monday that I have been accepted as one of 30 people in the nation to be a part of an Urban Youth Worker Certification Program over the course of the next year. I'll receive training from some incredible Urban Ministry Leaders from all over the country as well as one on one coaching. This is a huge honor and huge blessing. This was only possible because I was given incredible favor of a scholarship. I am so humbled and so grateful to serve a God who is beyond the limits and bounds of my mind. He has busted through the limitations of what I thought was possible and has made all things possible.

The road is filled with lots of obstacles but we are so thankful for the confirmation that we are walking in the Will of God and He is not only making each step possible but preparing us for the days ahead.

Thank you for your prayers, your love, your encouragement, your smiles, your financial support, and your hugs. You have no idea how much of a blessing each of you are to us. We consider ourselves rich to have the opportunity to walk together daily in the path God has laid before us. He makes all things work together for our good.

I'm embracing this season of depth before breadth
I think this is part of the cultivation process where God is digging His shovel into my rocky soil, tilling it, and preparing it and sowing seeds.

Do yourself a favor and read Psalm 73. Better yet...you can watch it here and show support to this amazing new project called Streetlight Bible:

"In my life, be lifted high.
In our world, be lifted high.
In our love, be lifted high."

For His Renown,
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Well, wow. I don't even know where to start. I an so moved by your notes and touched by the understanding, encouragement and assistance that you received at the retreat. (And at St. Simons! What a beautiful place!) You deserve the scholarship as far as I see it, but youre right. You are blessed.

    My motto is now character before influence, and I wish I was there to give you a hug.
    -M

    ReplyDelete