Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is Sacrificial Giving?: A Blog that hits where it hurts.


“And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two copper coins, which amount to a cent.  Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.” – Mark  12:41-44

**Warning: This is a LONG blog…but something I am VERY passionate about. Please take the time to read the WHOLE thing or you’ll miss the point completely.
I had about ten other things I was going to blog about today, but God very strongly impressed me to change the topic. This is not a blog about tithing. This is not another sermon about what you put in the offering plate. This is an honest hard look at what it truly means to give sacrificially. This is not a bash on pastors or churches who preach on the subject this is just from my perspective. However, I’m sure that it will step on some toes, so before anyone blasts an email or comment back defending the idea, please take a moment to examine if your response is based on the fact that I’m not speaking the truth or if the truth is hitting where it hurts.
It’s the end of the year and either most organizations or ministries experience one of two things: A burst in giving as people see they have excess at the end of the year and either want to bless or would like the tax deduction, maybe both (which praise God for, because we need it). Or sadly, the second, which is budgets are cut, contributions are cut, the economy seems rocky, and rather than give people grip. Now, I admit, I have never been good with money, saving it or spending it. I don’t think rich people should feel guilty for what God has blessed them with, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking care of your family and their future……the thing that bugs me is that especially as Americans, we (generally speaking) give as long as it’s comfortable. As long as it doesn’t interfere with our luxuries, our eating out plans, our fancy cars, our entertainment, and our vacations. But is that biblical?
This thought processes started on Christmas Eve when a family came to volunteer at our service because their little girl who had to be about 9 or 10 had said she only wanted 2 things for Christmas and the rest of it she wanted to give away. She had also told her parents she wanted to stay in a tent in the park and feed the homeless. They convinced her that coming to Rescue Atlanta and serving with us would be a better idea. How awesome for that to be a child’s wish?
Then something happened that blew my mind..I was sitting at my desk one day this week, and a volunteer walked in and said, “I know Glenn’s birthday is coming up and I want you to do something really special for him.” This person handed me a $100 bill and walked out the door. I did not really know them. My eyes filled with tears as God reminded me that this was His provision. In a follow up to an earlier blog post…I had shared that we had used our last $50 to provide a Christmas brunch to the men who live at Rescue Atlanta. I share nothing with a spirit of bragging or for a pat on the back. I shared it because I told you I also wanted to let you know how God provided. See..Glenn is an incredible giver. He has always given more to me than I have ever been able to give back. His birthday is next Tuesday, January 3, and I had no money to get him anything or even get groceries for a special meal. I was praying..”God, give me a creative idea of how to bless him on that day and make it special.” That’s when this person walked in. I emailed them later to thank them for the gift and to tell them a little of our background. They in turn responded with this message:
The beginning of November I was fasting a praying regarding some business ideas. I have my own business. During that time God spoke to me to focus on Him and serving Him and he would provide for me for the work He wanted me to do. I have a calling for missions and the ministry. So, I decided to serve Him and not worry about my business and finances. Over the next 6 weeks I think I had about $200 come in. Insurance was canceled. My landlord has sent me a letter than on the 15th of December he would begin the eviction process if I didn't make full payment.
I continued to trust God's provision even though I had no idea what He was doing. On Dec 15th I called a client that I had given a proposal to in JULY and they were ready to go. They paid me in full. Just in time to go to the bank and pay my rent before the bank closed. Since then God has opened up blessing after blessing on me.  Far more than I deserve.

When I left the house this morning I was impressed to take that $100 with me for some reason. I would not normally carry cash when going down there. God has rained down on me unexpected income these last few weeks and I know it was for a purpose.  God will honor the work you guys are doing - your hearts are true to Him.
Knowing that made the $100 feel like $1000. Following God when it hurts..When it doesn’t make sense…when there is a sacrifice involved.
A blessing is still a blessing even if it comes from the person who has a lot of money, but there’s something about a sacrificial gift that grips me every time.
I found a definition on a website for sacrificial giving that I love:

Sacrificial:  Our proportionate gift becomes sacrificial when it comes from our substance
rather than our abundance. When we give out of our substance, we are changed in the process. We have given away something we thought we needed for ourselves, thus changing our lifestyle. We have acted on our belief that our security lies not in our material resources but in God.

When people grip rather than give…it hurts the very organizations and ministries that are trying to HELP the hurting people around us.  I looked up verses on giving and here is what I found:

Deuteronomy 15:10 – “Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this, the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.

Proverbs 3:27 – “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.

Proverbs 11:24-25 – “There is one who scatters, and yet increases all the more, and there is one who withholds what is justly due, and yet it results only in want.  The generous man will be prosperous, and he who waters will himself be watered.”

Proverbs 22:9 – “He who is generous will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor.”

Proverbs 28:27 – “He who gives to the poor will never want, but he who shuts his eyes will have many curses.

Luke 6:30 – “Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back.”

Luke 6:38 – “Give and it will be given to you.  They will pour into your lap a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over.  For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”

Every week I watch people put Quarters, even pennies in the offering bag…they do it faithfully, and they do it cheerfully. And for most, it may be all the change they have in their pockets. I am challenged by their giving and their faith because they know and believe in the God who provides. The same God, who provides for the wealthy, provides for the poor……but some of the poorest are the richest in Spirit. Money will never buy that.

So, I challenge whoever is reading this: Are you giving out of the abundance or the substance?

Are you gripping or giving?
I know that God is always calling me deeper and to do more.  I pray we listen.

For His Renown,
Morgan

2 comments:

  1. You two are truly amazing. I will continue to pray for both of you and know that your mission is blessed by God. Your self sacrifice is a constant reminder of how God wants us to live and serve in His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm, you know, a month late reading this. But I agree wholeheartedly! And it kills me when people say, "But how do I know that the money will go to [x, y or z]?" The point is to be a lavish giver -- of our money, time, energy, love, etc. The image of Jesus is all of that. And, as you mentioned in an earlier most, it is far more rewarding to give than to grip.

    ReplyDelete