Monday, December 26, 2011

Mr. Clean my Heart

As much as I tried, I just could not sleep last night, nor take a nap today. Frustrated and exhausted I stood in the doorway of my kitchen and sighed. I try to keep the kitchen "Clean" but you know those spots on the floor that just never seem to come up when you mop? Or the grime that collects under the stove top burners? The stuff you overlook on a routine clean and save for the "Deep Clean" day....the stuff that's gonna take some extra attention and elbow grease. Well today was the day in the Paddock Kitchen.  Whoever lived in our house before we moved in did not really clean it when they left. When we moved in, we had just enough time to unpack before we started our job so I never got around to really looking close and giving it the extra TLC. When I did today...I was disgusted. "How could someone let it get that bad?" "What is that stuck to the floor?" "How is the cabinet above the stove just that sticky and almost a yellow tint?" Grossed out yet? Not half as much as I was scrubbing it. I sat on the floor scrubbing everything in sight....and as I did, God spoke to me....

"Morgan, don't you do the same thing in your life? There are areas in your life that need a deep cleaning, but You look away and smooth it over always waiting for it to go away, but it's not going away, in fact, it will only get harder to deal with the more time you let the dirt continue to cake on."

So as I sat there and scrubbed and prayed about things in my own life....areas that need some extra attention..and really thought through and prayed through the different issues. And you know what? It wasn't fun....but because I was scrubbing in real life, it made it easier to have a word picture right in front of my face.

Tonight my elbows, arms, and hands are sore, but the kitchen is clean....and I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. I imagine there will be some soft spots on my heart as I have to "scrub" diligently at some areas more than others...but I know that the end result is living in peace and experiencing the healing and freedom that come through being cleansed by the Father.

So, I challenge any of you as well....are there areas in your life that need a deep cleansing? Do you pretend that your sin or hurt isn't there, thinking it will go away or can be dealt with another day? I've got Good news and bad news...I'll give you the bad news first.  It doesn't go away and it doesn't usually get easier. In fact....usually what happens is we become calloused or bitter, and something happens to make us take an honest look at ourselves and we're caught off guard with just how much damage we've done to ourselves.

Ready for the Good News? There is a Healer...who can not only heal your deepest hurts, but also cleanse your mess up as if it was never there.....not that we don't have to live with consequences of our actions, but we don't have to live with guilt.

Here are some verses I'm thinking on tonight:

Psalm 51:10 - "Create in my a clean heart, renew a steadfast spirit within me."

James 4:7-10 (The Message) - "So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet."

Psalm 139:23-24 -   "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way."
 
So...Do you need to pick up the scrub brush? Join me. The peace and freedom is worth it.


Scrub a Dub Dub.
For His Renown,
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Morgan, I agree with your Mother (who is a very wise lady)...You do have a way with words and analogies. Keep inspiring & being inspired. You may end up writing the book your mother started... Wishing you the best in the journey that is life. Sylvia F.

    ReplyDelete