Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Paddock Christmas Story

Merry Christmas to all of our family and friends. I am typing this will a heart overflowing with thankfulness and praise on my lips. While I definitely had my moments of sadness being separated from family, about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, something clicked. There was a sense of excitement about creating our own traditions. We didn't make the Christmas Eve service bc Glenn was asleep and didn't feel well, so I let him rest. We have been going non stop. But after he woke up and was feeling better we headed to the grocery store and created our first tradition - Christmas Eve Finger Food Dinner. We had hot wings, chili cheese dip, and pizza muffins. I prepped for Christmas Brunch and then we spent some time just listening to Christmas Jazz with Christmas candles lit. We ended our night with Glenn reading "Twas the Night before Christmas" to me and I, in turn, introduced him to "The Cajun night before Christmas." :)
Here are some pictures of our home this Christmas.


This morning I woke up to the smell of breakfast casserole that I had been cooking in the crock pot all night. We ended up with a few presents under the tree late last night so we took some time to have "our" Christmas. I'm sure we will look back with fondness on the Christmas where all Glenn got was " a big candy cane, a hot wheels car, and bowls with skulls and crossbones on them." But....it is what it is and although he did much better on me....He had put some stuff away awhile ago and saved it for Christmas.." We are reminded that its not the "Stuff" that makes Christmas special...it's celebrating the birth of our Savior and sharing His love and serving those around us.

The best Christmas present I've ever received happened a few hours later when we opened our home and shared a Christmas Brunch with the 5 men who are currently living at Rescue Atlanta. Most of them did not have family to spend Christmas with so we invited them to be a part of our family. (Because in reality.....that's exactly what we ARE anyway.) I cooked all morning making cinnamon roll casserole, home made blueberry turnovers, Grits with bacon in addition to the sausage, egg, and, cheese casserole that cooked overnight.

                          
After serving coffee we had the guys sit at the table. I wanted to SERVE THEM. They are the ones who help run the ministry and take care of the building so i wanted them to be blessed. They ate every last bit of the casserole and we loved sharing more of our stories, hearing more of theirs, and sharing LOTS of laughs. It truly filled my heart more than you can know. Here is Glenn enjoying breakfast with the guys.

After making sure they had as many servings as they wanted. We said our "Merry Christmas" Wishes to each other and I grabbed a picture with them before they headed back.

As I starred our the window washing dishes and counting my blessings, my heart was heavy thinking about all the people who were out in the cold and rain this Christmas. I think I said out loud, "I wish we had enough money to drive around and feed all the people we see." I know its a bigger task than we'll ever be able to do on our own, but I hope that more and more people will extend a hand to people who have fallen on hard times.  We decided today that this will be a tradition we continue each Christmas. To provide a Brunch to whomever God puts in our path to be blessed that year....I challenge you and your family in a similar manner.

I'm no longer going to ask people what they "got" for Christmas....instead I'm going to start asking, "What did you give?" for it TRULY is more blessed to give...for the blessing is received through the giving.

For His Renown,
Morgan Paddock

No comments:

Post a Comment