Sunday, January 12, 2014

I'm a Christian, Not a Wimp.


"You are honestly so ugly....."

Those are the hateful words I read that someone posted on another person's Twitter page today. They both are strangers to me, but it felt personal. What followed those words does not even really matter because I couldn't get past the initial weight of those words. 

Some of the responses surrounding the post left my soul raging with one thought...."When did being a Christian mean that I must be a wimp?"

I fear that in our call (as Christians) to live a life of love, grace and peace, we have lost the call to truth and justice. We can so easily wear "turning the other cheek" as a badge of honor forgetting that Jesus drew a line in the sand. He stood between the prostitute and those who wanted to cast stones. 

I refuse to believe that God gave me passion and a voice to be silent. I do not believe that when a person hurts another person, I should turn a blind eye. I do not believe that when harsh words are spoken I mumble "I'm the rubber, you're the glue, what bounces off of me sticks to you," and pretend it doesn't hurt.  As a Christian, heck, as a human, injustice hurts my heart and there is something ignited in me to respond.

There is a place for truth and grace. 

I personally feel like we are in a time where the words: Act, Go, Speak and Defend, are the words that are resonating within the hearts of God's people. We are seeing people go into uncharted territories, taking risks and facing the opposition with boldness.

I choose to believe that my God would step in front of me with a "Oh no you didn't" and set straight (with perfect truth and grace) the person that ever called me ugly in his presence.

My cheeks (and yours)  can be hit with punches that bruise well beneath the surface of our skin. Even a skin that can become thick and calloused from years of turning our cheek. Unfortunately, those words don't stop at the surface and can sink deep into souls. Some of us spend years trying to find the permission or courage to speak what we feel because somewhere along the way we got this warped understanding of what turning the other cheek really means.

Hurt people, hurt people.
The wounded will wound others.
Truth can bring light.
Light can bring life.

Don't pack a punch of truth without grace.
Don't be so graceful that you shrink to the floor.

Ding. Ding. Ding.







2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this. Such a great reminder to stand one's ground with grace and to tell the truth. Call out evil when we see it, and God will be the final judge. Here's to living the Story and speaking the Story with boldness and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When evil gives voice in the world, it darkens the atmosphere and muddies the world. When good people remain silent, we become evil's accomplice, as Martin Luther King taught. Let Freedom ring.... you are right, we need voices and we need people willing to step into the fray. We as Christians can be wimps in our "nice" polite ways. We are often afraid to get dirty. Good words, well spoken in this post!

    ReplyDelete