Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes


I'm quickly approaching my 31st birthday and gifts are becoming less and less important while making an impact is on the top of my wish list. It's no secret that working with the inner city youth at Rescue Atlanta had pretty much captured my heart these days. I grow to love these kids a little more everyday and grow attached to them every week. We are becoming a family where we can say hard things in love and laugh together at the same time. We've had a consistent group that has started coming every week and we are slowly but surely seeing some changes in kids lives. I got to have a conversation with a 10 year old a few weeks ago about what it means to be a Christian and this past week one of our students drew us a picture to hang in our office after attending a Man Up Conference a few weeks ago.

We started asking our kids about what they dream of doing and their answers reflected the lack of dreams. It bothered me....a lot....and I knew that we were supposed to do something about it. I made up a little informational sheet and at the bottom they had a few questions:
1. What do you want to be when you grow up?
2. What are 3 things you've always wanted to do or places you've always wanted to go?
3. What do you want to learn more about?

I told them if it took the entire class time to come up with 3 things that was fine, but they weren't leaving til they had 3 things on paper. I spent some time coaching them on examples of dreaming, brainstorming, thinking out side of the box. When I read over their papers after class my heart was very tender. We have some kids who have never been on a boat. Some wanted to ride a horse. One young man wanted to go to an NFL game and learn how to be a coach. Another young man wants to go into business. We had students who want see Africa, learn more about missionaries, try different food from around the world. I was seeing their dreams on paper and my heart almost leaped out of my chest. Many of these are doable. Many of these are attainable.

My mind automatically started racing. The first phone call I made was to the Aveda Institute which is a cosmetology school. One of my girls loves to do hair and wanted to learn about schooling. The lady at the school was SO nice and immediately responded in a positive way. So I now have plans of taking two young ladies to the school in a week where they will be given a tour, shadow a student, informed about that career, and receive a complimentary hair service before they leave. When I told the young women about the opportunity they couldn't wipe the smile off their face.....I saw it....excitement....hope....

So in honor of my inner city kids and kids I have yet to meet. I have created "The Dream Campaign". My birthday wish is to raise $1200 to help at least one dream for each kid come true. Some I can set up for free, others will cost money. I have a webpage with a short video about it and a place to donate. Check it out here:The Dream Campaign

I hope you will consider supporting this and spreading the word. There is no better birthday gift than to know that kids lives are being impacted in a positive way.

Much Love.

For His Renown,
Morgan

3 comments:

  1. Hey so my husband and I go to Renovation church and live in inner-city Atlanta (in Adair Park) as well - where do y'all live? I'm looking forward to reading more about what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!, We live on Milton In chosewood park. I think you may have just added me on facebook. Would love to get to know you more! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE everything about this post and this project: the quote, the idea (!!!) and your heart in making it happen. You are a phenomenal person, and I am happy to support this initiative. You'll have to report back on your progress and the kids' experiences.

    Hugs from afar...

    ReplyDelete