Sunday, March 17, 2013

"I'm UGLY, Help." The Weight of Words.


"I'm Ugly, Help." Those were the words scribbled on a piece of worn cardboard being held by a man on the side of the interstate yesterday near Atlanta.

"Lift It. Fat Chicks Can't Jump!!" Those were the words across the back of a lifted pick up truck that I had to follow for miles as I was leaving the island last week on my way to downtown. I had the same type of feeling after reading each of those phrases. It hurt.  My eyes filled with tears both times.

I was hurt FOR the man that stood in a position of need holding a label that carries so many feelings and I was hurt by the person driving the truck and I wondered if he had any idea that there was a woman crying on her way to work because she was subject to his opinion. But then I have to stop and wonder...does it hurt because it's out there, or because I have put a label on myself to identify with those words?

If you were really honest with yourself what would your sign say...."I'm ____________. Help"

So often we put a label on ourselves that is so far outside of the way God sees us. We look in the mirror and think..."I'm ugly. I'm fat. I hate _____about myself." Or we decide that we won't be accepted because of a trait or feature and then we OWN that label and wear that label and we start to define ourselves by that label. And as if that's not enough, we start to let others define us with that label accepting that it's just the way it is and become hurt and offended when that nerve is touched. And at the end of the day.......we have allowed ourselves to believe a LIE. Sure we all have room to improve and strive for excellence, but we allow the volume of the voice of destruction and self doubt and self pity to be louder than the voice of TRUTH.


Ephesians 3:16-21

Amplified Bible (AMP)
16 May He grant you out of the rich treasury of His glory to be strengthened and reinforced with mighty power in the inner man by the [Holy] Spirit [Himself indwelling your innermost being and personality].17 May Christ through your faith [actually] dwell (settle down, abide, make His permanent home) in your hearts! May you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love,18 That you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God’s devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it];19 [That you may really come] to know [practically, [a]through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses [b]mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] [c]unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and[d]become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!


What might our signs say if we are founded securely on love? If we are a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself? I'm sure it hurts God's heart to see us wearing and believing a label HE did not design for us. God doesn't give us a label. He has a banner over us and it is love.

Instead of taking our cue from other people, we need to be buckled into how God sees us and He tells us that over and over in His Word. Then...when Satan tries to throw  lies at us, our shield of faith and belt of truth will protect our hearts and minds from the enemy.

You ARE Beautiful. You ARE loved.
This is a fact...because we were Created in the IMAGE of God. We are HIS workmanship.
Your Abba Father (Daddy) is THE greatest artist and creator of all time.
He does not make mistakes.

Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I can't control my tears today. Thank-you for this post.

    ReplyDelete