Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Putting Down Roots

If you have known me long, you know that I am one to move. I don't mind change. I like an adventure. For only being 31, I have lived in a number of places. The time has come where I'm ready to put down some roots. The adventure now comes in staying, not going. We have a mission field all around us and we feel like in order to really have an impact, we have to become a neighbor, live among those we are serving, cultivate relationships...and that takes time.

In the beginning of the year, I wrote this blog: My Word for 2012: Cultivate.
Little did I know how prophetic that was in the sense that it has been an idea that has been so relevant to this season. It has also been the subject of many a sermon or bible study I've read so far this year.  Every time the word is mentioned, it stirs something in me.

It's got me thinking a lot about how I'm cultivating in different areas of my life. My friendships? My relationship with my husband? Family? Good health? Income? Ministry?

I've been reminded that it doesn't just happen. A good relationship or good friendship is not healthy if its not being cultivated on a continual basis. Good health doesn't "just" happen. It requires an intentional focus.

I want to leave a legacy of intentional cultivation. I want to look back 5 years from now and see the fruits of staying in \ our neighborhood. I want to have a stronger relationship with my husband, family and friends. I want to be deeper in love with the Lord in a way I never imagined. And ultimately....I want to be changed. Refined. Renewed.

Only when I take the time to cultivate my relationship with God can I be sure that I'm right where I need to be. Christy Nockels has a song on her new album called "For Your Splendor" that I put on repeat quite often.  The chorus reads:
 With my roots deep in you
I'll grow the branch that bears the fruitAnd though I’m small I'll still be standing in the storm.Cause I am planted by the river.By your streams of living water.And I'll grow up strong and beautiful, All for Your splendor Lord.
You can watch the entire video here:


So this is my prayer today. I so desperately want to face the storm with no fear because my roots are deep enough that I know I will weather the storm. I pray, you too, continue to cultivate the different areas of your life.

If you would like to read our full newsletter, you can do so here: The Paddocks Fall Newsletter 2012.

For His Renown,
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. I want to be you when I grow up!!! I love you girl...you inspire me to be better everyday!

    ReplyDelete